Figma is the first collaborative UI design tool built in the browser. Join our growing community and kick off a conversation!
J A S O N@jscottpearson
We got Auto Layout 🎉 now we need States 🎛December 7, 2019 at 2:19pm
With the advent of Auto Layout (praise be) there are so many ways that workflows can be sped up, with much greater consistency. I'm sure it took incredible effort, and the Figma team is to be commended here. But now we're in desperate need of honest-to-goodness support for States and what I call Style Groups. A bonus would be adding in variables.
- A combination of styles that comprise a group. One could imagine different buttons where fills and strokes are unique—like a primary, secondary, and tertiary button.
- Note: this is actually how styles worked in the beta years ago but was simplified for launch.
- A set trigger to enable/disable/switch Styles and Style Groups
- Rules for states could be set globally (for instance, a Primary Button's hover state)
- You could set the default state of a particular instance—this would be useful when you might want to show a button that is using a "pressed" or "hover" state, while in another place use its default state.
- The ability to set named variables that would inherit styles when changing states. One could set something like "icon left" "icon right" and "button text"
A combination of these things would be massive for creating flexible design systems and dramatically speeding up processes.
December 7, 2019 at 2:54pm
December 9, 2019 at 6:16am
December 9, 2019 at 1:12pm
January 17, 2020 at 5:04pm
October 2, 2020 at 8:41pm