# All channels
320: The Path of a Generalist (feat. Pablo Stanley)October 31, 2019 at 2:58am
This week, the prolific Pablo Stanley joins us to talk about his path following a wide range of interests (including but not limited to architecture, music, fashion, comics, illustration, and design), and he shares his thoughts about the controversy surrounding his Open Doodles project and Design Twitter's reaction to it. And as always, we share some cool things, like a new video game, a creative portfolio site, and a tearjerking doctor show.
Flatiron School: Learn UX/UI design in 24 weeks and discover our global community on campus or online and go back to school with Flatiron School!
Change careers with confidence with 1:1 support from our dedicated Career Coaches and a money back guarantee. Complete details at flatironschool.com/terms.
See you in class!
Golden Microphone Patron:
Sisu is looking for a thoughtful and data-savvy designer to help build the next generation of analytics software. You can find out more at sisu.ai.
(You might recognize Sisu from our interview with Michie Cao)
- Shoutout to our newest patrons!
- Stephen Hathaway
- Oscar Lozano
- Struan Robertson
- On Brian's recommendation, Marshall saw Parasite, a "pitch-black modern fairytale"
- Pablo Stanley is a designer at Invision working on Studio, "the world’s most powerful screen design tool"
- Carbon Health is "a modern, tech-enabled healthcare company transforming the primary care and urgent care experience"
- Diseño Cha Cha Chá is a Spanish-language podcast of "conversations with Latinos who work in the technology industry"
- Stanley Colors is Pablo's collection of "comics and stuff"
- Buttsss is "a collection of beautiful, round butt illustrations"
- Video: "How-To: Throw Clay"
- Map: Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico
- The Kaoss Pad KP3+ is "a real-time effects processor/sampler with instant control over cutting-edge effects"
- The Design Team is "a comic series that follows the story of Petunia, a Junior Designer that just moved to SF to join a startup. The comic pokes fun at the tech world, and the quirky design culture in the middle of it."
- Tobias Von Schneider is "an award-winning designer born in Germany, raised in Austria and currently living in New York"
- Imposter Syndrome is "a psychological pattern in which an individual doubts their accomplishments and has a persistent internalized fear of being exposed as a 'fraud.'"
- "Life and Donuts" is a short comic about death and living
- Article: "Teen suicide rates spiked after debut of Netflix show '13 Reasons Why,' study says"
- Open Doodles is "a set of free illustrations that embraces the idea of Open Design. You can copy, edit, remix, share, or redraw these images for any purpose without restriction under copyright or database law."
- 9-slice scaling (aka 9-slicing) is "a 2D image resizing technique to proportionally scale an image by splitting it in a grid of nine parts"
- Pablo announced Open Doodles and got Design Twitter talking
One Cool Thing:
- Brian shared Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, the latest installment from Infinity Ward in the first-person military shooter series
- Video: "No Russian" (WARNING: Violent and Disturbing and Definitely NSFW)
- Press F to Pay Respects is "an action prompt featured in a quick time event from Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare. Many players mocked the funeral cutscene for its forced element of interactivity that seemed out-of-place at a memorial service."
- Pablo shared Bruno Simon's Portfolio, the result of "months of hard but fun work"
- Marshall shared The Good Doctor, a TV show about "a young surgeon with autism and savant syndrome [who] uses his extraordinary gifts to save lives and challenge skepticism"