React / General

React watercooler

The React watercooler

Welcome to the React watercooler, a space for general chat with everyone in the community. Jump in to the conversation below or introduce yourself!

Load previous messages

September 2, 2018 at 2:59am

@mxstbr Wow, it seems like a lot of guys have girl friend in Vietnam 😄

Last time, i met a France guy from OpenUp, he has girl friend in Vietnam, too. There's also one guy, who from Haskell community and living in Ho Chi Minh city, has a Vietnamese wife. I myself has a Vietnamese gf throu

gh 🤣🤣🤣

@jonkwheeler How kind you're

Actually, there's a lot of homeless people nowaday, so much that i don't even know whether it is good to raising charity. Sometimes my mother said, don't raising charity because as soon as we raising charity they started to depend on it. That's so hurtful to me. Sometimes i saw the children selling small things on the street and i asked them do they go to school. I think they don't even have a home. They come from small towns far far away come to the city to find moneys helps their parents. And i think that maybe we should better get them a job or get these children a school. However, it's good to help a hand. So i'm very appreciate the guys like you!

September 2, 2018 at 1:05pm

This weekend the girlfriend and I finally got our finances sorted. It felt incredible. A huge weight has been lifted off our shoulders. I'm so excited about it that I'm going to start discussing finance, stocks, retirement, etc over at https://spectrum.chat/money-makers - come join me!

September 3, 2018 at 3:11am

Yeah, girls are actually much more intelligent than us. They are meticulous, precise. I just thought that why they are going so slow and they don't actually understand what we're doing but the truth is reverse. Go slow and carefully is the best way to go fast. So enjoy! 🤣🤣🤣

like-fill

September 3, 2018 at 10:00am

Nice platform, I like it :)

Nice broad statement @clite-tailor 🤣

September 7, 2018 at 9:55pm

This package saved my day today after I discovered a bug in a dependency I dreaded forking, so I thought I'd share: https://github.com/ds300/patch-package

I love react!

like-fill

I love react!

Aye.

September 22, 2018 at 1:07pm

Thought this post my teammate shared with me was awesome https://uxdesign.cc/the-ultimate-guide-to-proper-use-of-animation-in-ux-10bd98614fa9

like-fill

I plan to adjust my animation vars according to these best practices, which I agree with.

Something as basic as

const animationVars = {
  speed: {
    veryFast: 100,
    fast: 200,
    normal: 300,
    slow: 400,
    verySlow: 500,
  },
  ease: 'ease-in-out',
  // For use as transition: opacity ${animationVars.hoverCss};
  get hoverCss() {
    return `${this.speed.fast}ms ${this.ease}`
  }
}

like-fill

October 7, 2018 at 11:31am

Hi everyone! I'm writing on behalf of group of open source enthusiasts coming from different Barcelona based meetups.

We are organizing an event on October 21st to celebrate Hacktoberfest https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/. It will be a full day where we'll meet and contribute to open source projects.

If you know of any JS based open source project who could use some help—especially with beginner friendly pull requests—please send them my way! I'll share them with the rest of the community and maybe on the day of the event some member will pick them up.

like-fill

hi guys - never introduced myself - trying to be more active in the open-source community too - so if anyone here has a react or react-native project needing some help with issue triage or even some eventual coding - I am eventually around. ☝

like-fill

October 8, 2018 at 4:47pm

Hey guys, Igor here. Just trying out spectrum for the first time. Mostly familiar with html,css and angularJS, but getting into using react and gatsby as well. Just to be clear, threads are started here by posting in the general area and having somebody reply to them?

October 9, 2018 at 10:14am

@tankr This is just a watercooler. Small chit-chat. You can post small questions here that don't warrant starting their own post. Larger topics you can create your own post

October 9, 2018 at 4:22pm

Hello everybody 👋I'm currently starting to migrate a React app to TypeScript. Now I keep getting stuck at so many decisions about syntax that it's starting to get frustrating. E.g. "Do I use `type` or `interface` to define props?"

Does anyone have a pointer for me? Every article/tutorial/OSS projects seems to do it differently...

October 10, 2018 at 8:45am

@gregoralbrecht If you're migrating to typescript, TS uses interface for props, while Flow uses type.

Hope you don't find this too straight forward, but you can reference TS's docs. https://www.typescriptlang.org/docs/handbook/react-&-webpack.html

interface MyProps { 
  helloWorld: string; 
  fooBar: string; 
}

like-fill

@gregoralbrecht If you're migrating to typescript, TS uses interface for props, while Flow uses type.

Hope you don't find this too straight forward, but you can reference TS's docs. https://www.typescriptlang.org/docs/handbook/react-&-webpack.html

interface MyProps { 
  helloWorld: string; 
  fooBar: string; 
}

Thanks for the quick response! This is just what I thought, but I got confused because some tutorials/blog posts used the keyword `type` for the props, some even exported them for unnamed reasons. Got me a bit confused last night haha :) Thanks!

@gregoralbrecht Well the export part is only if you need to share them across components. Or if you want to have one document like types.ts inside your Component folder, in which case you'll export your types, and import them to the component. I often have a folder called Component, then inside index.js, styled.js, types.js, Component.js. I'd import my styled-components from styled.js and my types from types.js into my main Component.js file.

like-fill

Suspense question: Do you guys anticipate component libraries using suspense to show their own placeholders with a default delay specified by their design system? Would individual apps unique async needs make that a messy abstraction?

In case anyone was curious Dan replied on twitter: "I don’t think component libraries should ever show their own fallback. Should leave that to the app."

Your message here...

*bold*_italic_`code````codeblock```