Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Spectrum Support

Spectrum is a community platform for the future. This community is a great place to ask questions, request features, report bugs, and chat with the Spectrum team.

Spectrum Support / Meta

Desktop App Beta 3 is out

May 31, 2018 · 10:00pm

Hey, I haven't been following this closely. The only things I have read is this page and the github page.

- I imagine this is an edge case but when I connect my github via account settings I am taken to the github login screen. There is no way to cancel or go back without restarting the app.

- Are there any application settings? The first thing I do when I download an app like this is go to manage things like notifications. (The app notifications are usually the main reason I even download the app) If there are I couldn't find them.

^ Still playing around and will continue to do so but these are my first impressions. :)

Trying it! Noticed that when you click on a link (to an external website) it opens it inside of the Spectrum app and then you have no way to get back and you need to close the app and re-launch. Should open external links into your default browser instead of inside the app itself.

looks nice new app!

and i prefer about feeling of remove glaybar from navbar😀

i just send PR about navbar, could you please any feedbacks if you would mind👩‍💻😆

https://github.com/withspectrum/spectrum/pull/3236

Thanks everyone! I've just opened two pull requests to address some of this feedback:

https://github.com/withspectrum/spectrum/pull/3237 => all links will open in your default browser

like-fill

https://github.com/withspectrum/spectrum/pull/3237 => additionally adds escape hatch shortcut keys to return to home, go forward, or go back - I know this still isn't perfect, but will at least mean people don't have to quit/restart the app if they get stuck during an auth flow (the only time we will direct to a 3rd party website without a target="_blank"

like-fill

@ryota-murakami - left a note in that PR :)

like-fill

@olliejt - we don't have application settings yet, but notification settings are on our list - we have an open PR to provide customizations for push notification delivery, although those settings will end up inside your user settings view

like-fill

@brian So... tried logging in with Twitter to start out and it sorta got stuck in a weird state when I entered the wrong password. Was able to close/open it to get it up and running, though!

Also... this is slick!

@brian So... tried logging in with Twitter to start out and it sorta got stuck in a weird state when I entered the wrong password. Was able to close/open it to get it up and running, though!

Yeah, this is a fairly annoying problem with oauth flows where they break their redirect rules if someone types in the wrong password, or the wrong 2fa code. Very frustrating. I'm putting in a menu item to 'go home' which will let you return back to the starting point without having to quit/re-open, but it's still not ideal :/

like-fill

sweeet this app is feeling really good

June 1, 2018 · 1:43pm

Yeah seems to be working pretty good for me now! I also ran into that login issue a few days ago. I think the home button should help. The only thing that has thrown me off a few time is the solid dark header bar. It might just be me but it gets lost visually in the background, more so than any other app that I use.

Downloading!

Ran Appcleaner to dust things off, and installing now.

Running all smooth and buttery.

Btw. @brian @mxstbr you can sign it for gatekeeper I believe this is the one that we use https://www.npmjs.com/package/electron-osx-sign

It's a minor annoyance, and I know it's beta. But it would be slick to make it easier for Mac users. Those of us that leave Gatekeeper on anyway.

Nice! Window size, and position is saved! FTW :) gj guys :)

June 2, 2018 · 8:06am

Trying to install and got this

on windows

Extra space before home tab in windows.

Hide Spectrum option doesn't work.

Add the option to hide the menu bar.

How we will get notifications on desktop?

Do we need to keep the Spectrum application open in the background?

Yes! As long as you have it open in the background you should get push notifications

but how to enable push notification?

there is some space between the navbar and the thread panel.

They are enabled automatically!

Thanks for the reports, we haven't spent much time optimizing windows—will clean that up!

Thanks for the reports, we haven't spent much time optimizing windows—will clean that up!

Great.

June 2, 2018 · 7:30pm

Really great work. Couples of points of feedback:

- We need clear navigation elements (back & forward) plus the history API exposed in the electron app. It's easy to lose where you were and very hard to get back. Slack makes this available via the OS-level toolbar.

- Markdown blockquotes really bork the app (not sure if this also applies to web)

- Also need a way to search a thread! Can do this w/ CTRL+F on desktop, can't in Electron apps!

- We need clear navigation elements (back & forward) plus the history API exposed in the electron app. It's easy to lose where you were and very hard to get back. Slack makes this available via the OS-level toolbar.

- Markdown blockquotes really bork the app (not sure if this also applies to web)

- Also need a way to search a thread! Can do this w/ CTRL+F on desktop, can't in Electron apps!

To add to point #1, external links would do well with Android/iOS-style in app browser features, which could much more easily be enabled in the OS level toolbar. Things like grabbing the current external page's URL for sharing, etc.

Might want to think about this in more detail than that though, as you'll get this OOB natively on Android/iOS devices and may want a similar experience in Electron.

thanks @chrisdmacrae ! i'm one of a contoributor.

about Markdown blockquotes, @maxstbr is hardworking for cumstomize on his forked draft-js.

so markdown 's expertise will improve each term!

like-fill

June 3, 2018 · 4:59pm

Trying it! Noticed that when you click on a link (to an external website) it opens it inside of the Spectrum app and then you have no way to get back and you need to close the app and re-launch. Should open external links into your default browser instead of inside the app itself.

This. It'd be great if we could open links in the default browser instead of the built-in browser. The traffic light buttons cover some websites so it's not that pleasant... Also ran into the Twitter auth error thing where I had to quit/re-open the app to restart the log in flow.

Everything else looks pretty solid. Good job everyone!

June 6, 2018 · 3:19pm

Are there native mac notifications?

@megaroeny yep! Once you have the app open it will get native notifications

like-fill

@megaroeny yep! Once you have the app open it will get native notifications

I just got one! 👏🏼

like-fill

So far my biggest annoyance is that I have to refresh everytime I open my computer if I leave the app open.

The app works, but functions as if it's not connected to anything.

Content doesn't load, and for some reason all icons turn to @brian 's face.

Your message here...

*bold*_italic_`code````codeblock```