moonshot / crypto

Quantum Key Distribution (QKD)

Quantum Key Distribution (QKD)

moonshot / crypto · April 1, 2018 at 8:32pm
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1707.00542.pdf

April 1, 2018 at 10:44pm

Hey JJ. Super cool idea. Could you share a bit more about how you would want us to use QKD for the moonshot project?

April 3, 2018 at 12:03am

Will have the whitepaper uploaded soon!

April 3, 2018 at 6:52am

Still needs a great deal of work, but feel free to critique what I have so far and offer suggestions!

April 8, 2018 at 8:57pm

Have been extremely busy working on my startup as of recent. Working on completing the proposal. Greatly appreciate everyone's feedback thus far!

May 27, 2018 at 5:17am

I love quantum stuff and I think doing something like this would sound really good but the reality is as soon as blockchain enters the real world like we want to do, it's impossible prove that the private key is both there and not copied. If I understand correctly, this method would be used to ensure that no one (Eve) can eavesdrop on the transmission of the private key.

Problem is what if we just keep a copy of that private key for ourselves? In the diagram above, it supposes 1 and 2 can be trusted and that 3 cannot be but in this scenario, we would be 1. I don't think any quantum mechanical effect could be used to ensure the public that we can be trusted, just that someone (government satellites, aliens?) haven't intercepted the key

May 29, 2018 at 3:31am

Yeah, the problem is there is no way to prove the key remained in tact on the moon. Also, with quantum key distribution, two parties have to be involved in creating the key that will encypt the messages transmitted between both parties. This would require someone to be present on the moon (or at least low earth orbit) to receive the polarized photons. Even then, transmitting individual photons between earth and space with enough accuracy to finish the task is near impossible with state of the art quantum technology.

like-fill

Yeah, the problem is there is no way to prove the key remained in tact on the moon. Also, with quantum key distribution, two parties have to be involved in creating the key that will encypt the messages transmitted between both parties. This would require someone to be present on the moon (or at least low earth orbit) to receive the polarized photons. Even then, transmitting individual photons between earth and space with enough accuracy to finish the task is near impossible with state of the art quantum technology.

Hey JJ, I posted a way that I think lets us prove that the private key is on the moon and proves it will stay intact for a long while. I might be mistaken though, let me know what you think:

https://spectrum.chat/thread/498e3ace-2aad-4b9b-acc2-ea61f22889cf

Your message here...

*bold*_italic_`code````codeblock```