Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Dev Tool Makers

A community of developers, designers & others who're building tools for developers.

Dev Tool Makers / General

[Looking for ideas] "Dev Tool Makers" community site 🚀

Dev Tool Makers/General · June 22, 2018 at 7:30pm

Dev Tool Makers / General · June 22, 2018 at 7:30pm
Hey friends! We are now 120 members and this is only after the first week. Exciting, right? 🔥
As a next step, I'm thinking to build an open-source website to showcase all the members of this community with their products. We can also categorize the products for ease of discovery.
So far, I've the following ideas for the first version:
  • A website directory of the products and makers
  • Product categories
  • The site will be open-source so everyone can contribute including the members

I'd love to know if you have other ideas that may be fun and useful to have on the site. Please add your ideas below.
Thank you, Tigran 💜

June 22, 2018 at 8:29pm

Hey! This is a great idea :)

like-fill

Hey! This is a great idea :)

Hey! Thanks. :)

Sounds awesome, if you want to host it somewhere I can, or we can do GitHub pages

like-fill

Great idea, no ideas from my side but happy to send pull-requests once you share the repo. What technologies are you planning to use?

like-fill

July 4, 2018 at 11:39am

Are there any ideas related to technology stack for website?

July 5, 2018 at 1:55pm

One idea is a rotating featured tool of the week. You probably don't need a cron to switch them out either, just randomly generate a lookup table and put that in the repo. When the week is up and a new week occurs it looks at the table and figures out which featured tool it should show. So we can still make it a client side page. The only issue is now we need a javascript component so it can't be plain HTML and CSS. A javascript component brings up issues of whether to use a framework or not. I'm a fan of plain javascript

Okay, I understood your point. Let me introduce my vision of it.

At first, I think we can follow the principle of IID ( Iterative and Incremental Development ) and organise the whole development process of website by some circles.

The short description of architector: we can use github pages for avoiding server side and hostings. We can develop a very simple, but at the same time a modern single page application by using, for example, the latest version of React.

The circles of development:

( NOTE ::: All steps of development in my suggestion will be related to React js and its adjacent tools. Of course, it's just my suggestion, we can change it ).

Circle 1) At first we need an organisation in github and repo for website.

Circle 2) We can create a simple SPA in React with content of "Coming soon" and integrate it with github pages.

Circle 3) Integration of Material-UI, React-router and sample date base based on .json file.

Circle 4) After that we can create proper UI components for showing members and projects from sample db file.

Circle 5) And integration of it with Firebase.

I tried to combine all possible steps with this 5, in real there are more than 5. It's just for forming an idea.

I'll be glad to hear feedbacks.

like-fill

July 13, 2018 at 8:31pm

Are there any ideas related to technology stack for website?

Not yeah, probably something I'm familiar with.

Your message here...

*bold*_italic_`code````codeblock```