Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Dank Mono

Dank Mono is a coding font designed for aesthetes with Retina displays in mind. This is a place to provide feedback and track its progress!

Dank Mono / General

Apostrophes ´ ` are too small

Apostrophes ´ ` are too small

Dank Mono / General · June 28, 2018 at 11:25am (Edited 5 months ago)
Hi,
first of all - thanks for this awesome font! :)
While editing SQL scripts, I recognized, that the apostrophes ´ and ` are smaller than other characters. I found out using IntelliJ, but I validated it in VS Code as well. It is not related to any theme.

Cheers
Patrick

June 28, 2018 at 12:33pm

I'm not sure what font-size you're using or what pixel density your screen is on but on lower resolutions and densities it can indeed look thinner and thus appear a lot smaller visually. That's just due to it being very diagonal and short

This is intentional however and in line with what other fonts like Fira Code are doing, so let me maybe elaborate :D

Since they're not apostrophes, but accents they need to be designed to be diacritics. That means they're designed to be on top of another letter, so they're shape and form is primarily designed to be smaller than the "x" height and the ceiling

To compensate for that I made sure that they're thinner on their lower end and extremely slanted, so that they're still recognisable

You can also compare this to other fonts on carbon.now.sh

however, it's a trade-off between looks, purpose, and consistency. I think they manage look and purpose well, being accents. But consistency is suffering if you compare them to regular apostrophes as you say. But since that's not their actual purpose most of the times that's a trade off that has to be made :/

Sorry about that apostrophes/accents mix up, this may be a translation issue by myself. I do understand the dilemma between the accents being on top of another character and displaying them "standalone". I do not have any clue how fonts work, I thought probably it is just some spacing configuration-thingy. However, thanks very much for explaining. I will simply try to reduce my SQL efforts ;D

Your message here...

*bold*_italic_`code````codeblock```