Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Figma

Figma is the first collaborative UI design tool built in the browser. Join our growing community and kick off a conversation!

Figma / General

Please use thread likes 👍 instead of +1's

Figma/General · June 27, 2018 · 7:55pm

Figma / GeneralJune 27, 2018 · 7:55pm · (Edited 1 month ago)
Hey everyone, Spectrum just launched a new update that allows you to like a thread. Instead of all those +1 messages let's use the new like feature, that way messages can be used for... well... messages!

June 27, 2018 · 8:03pm

p.s. I'm going to start cleaning up some of the threads and removing the "+1's". Let me know if you have any questions.

like-fill

June 28, 2018 · 11:23am

Do you add the +1 to the thread likes instead? Otherwise you will lose precious user information :)

I don't see it. Am I blind?

like-fill

Now it works. That was strange.

June 29, 2018 · 4:02pm

Do you add the +1 to the thread likes instead? Otherwise you will lose precious user information :)

At the moment we haven't really used the +1's in messages. They're hard to keep track of, and they really just add clutter to the thread. The thread likes are brand new but they offer a much better system to tracking the thread popularity. Hopefully down the road we'll be able to sort by likes, and as a community admin be able to see analytics around them. This means that we'll have a much better pulse on the types of requests, conversations, topics, etc. that matter most to our community! :)

Yeah my question was "Will Figma (you) transfer those +1s into likes yourself"? Or will you just leave older threads in the state they are now?

Yeah my question was "Will Figma (you) transfer those +1s into likes yourself"? Or will you just leave older threads in the state they are now?

Oh sorry misunderstood you. A user can only like a thread once so unfortunately users will have to convert their +1's into thread likes.

like-fill

Inbox will be very happy :)

like-fill

July 11, 2018 · 10:17pm

Just bringing this back up to the top. As a reminder please try and use the thread likes over "+1" messages. Thanks. :)

July 12, 2018 · 11:17am

Maybe change the title a little bit so it is clearer for anyone who decides not to read the thread in detail?

like-fill

Maybe change the title a little bit so it is clearer for anyone who decides not to read the thread in detail?

Great idea!

July 13, 2018 · 5:41pm

this is a good idea. +1. Ooops.

Hmm, you can't click on the left side. Lame.

July 16, 2018 · 7:22am

Roger that :)

July 16, 2018 · 3:56pm

I'd love to ... but I honestly cannot figure out how to do this. Can someone post a screenshot of where the "like" button is hiding?

it's a staged rollout, so if you don't see it yet just be patient

It is not a staged rollout, to be clear...

if spectrum's caching is so bad most users don't see it immediately, it might as well be lol

Suggestion: Make the thumbs up symbol on the left clickable to do the same thing as the one on the top right.

this is not a very discoverable feature... spectrum should put it down by the comment field

and it's called "like" which is not what I want to use it for ...it should just be "vote up" and have a +1 on it. and if you type +1 someplace it should add the vote.

meet people where they are, don't make them change their natural behavior.

(but I get that you need the likes to see what to pay attention to)

@arena I think likes make the most sense, especially since they have to consider all types of communities on here, not just Figma. Upvotes work within the context of feature requests but outside of that they don't make as much sense.

Overall I'm trying to use this new feature in our context to help clean up the clutter, and reduce notifications that typing +1 cause.

One more benefit is that, we can get a total number of thumbs up.

It comes in handy when dev team is planning to work on next feature, they can just see which thread (feature request) got the maximum number and start working on it, instead of counting the +1.

It's definitely nice to see. :) Although our roadmap may be influenced by these feature requests, it's not guaranteed that the post with the most "likes" is something that will be prioritized or even built. I just want to make sure that's clear. :)

I see. But I hope you do consider thumbs up while selecting new feature.

August 6, 2018 · 5:50pm

Just another reminder to use the thread likes over "+1's". Thanks. :)

like-fill

+1 to this idea.

August 7, 2018 · 12:19pm

Just another reminder to use the thread likes over "+1's". Thanks. :)

My take on this is that people do use the new Like button, but also add a comment (i.e. "+1") in order to bump the thread back to the top of the list for visibility. Otherwise, it continue its downfall into the abyss of Spectrum :)

I'd suggest that if you add a "+1" as a comment, instead write why would Like this idea, how it would help you in Figma.

I agree Sebastien, The Like button is in the wrong spot. It should not even be a LIKE. It should say in big and bold +1 and it should be directly to the left of the text bar. Right next to that little image icon. (Ive never clicked that image icon by the way)

like-fill

Yes please, thanks! I've actually had to remind people 🙃

I agree Sebastien, The Like button is in the wrong spot. It should not even be a LIKE. It should say in big and bold +1 and it should be directly to the left of the text bar. Right next to that little image icon. (Ive never clicked that image icon by the way)

Next to the input text field? That would look/feel really weird to me. I think it's fine where it is, and I don't think +1 would make sense instead of Like. Not every post relates to voting, but Liking can be more relative to certain topics. ¯\(ツ)_

The use case is:

- I want to agree with the sentiment in the post, especially for feature requests.

To have the button so far from the input field is why people keep forgetting to do it

If you want people to not say +1 - you are going to have to put the button closer to the input. This is a pretty standard fitts law issue.

like-fill

yeah, great idea, inline it with message controls instead of the thread controls so it implies you're liking your own message. this is a great thing to suggest in a design forum

Seems like since there 1) so many people that have already used +1 messages and 2) people aren't stopping using +1s for new messages—you might think about making an automated solution to convert both new and old +1 messages into Likes.

like-fill

August 8, 2018 · 2:57pm

Seems like since there 1) so many people that have already used +1 messages and 2) people aren't stopping using +1s for new messages—you might think about making an automated solution to convert both new and old +1 messages into Likes.

That would be interesting! 🤔

If you want people to not say +1 - you are going to have to put the button closer to the input. This is a pretty standard fitts law issue.

Good reminder. Facebook does that 🙃

August 8, 2018 · 10:31pm

It would be nice to automate some of this but we're a bit limited to the functionality Spectrum has right now. I know eventually they'll implement some ways that incorporate the thread likes more. For example filtering by most likes or something along those lines.

I get the sentiment behind bumping the thread, but instead of using +1's it'd be great to add something a bit more to the conversation (A bunch of +1, +1, +1's start to look more like spam). Even something as simple as "I'd love to see this feature too because..." or "Having this feature would help..."

Hope all of that makes sense. Happy to discuss this further too. We are potentially looking at using something a bit different to manage feature requests but all of that's undecided at the moment.

August 9, 2018 · 9:27pm

Canny.io looks like an interesting way to collect and manage customer feedback. I always do a search in Spectrum before requesting a feature so I can "Like" if that feature has already been requested, but I usually end up missing some due to the way feature requests are worded differently. Another alternative would be to allow Spectrum admins to add related threads.

August 10, 2018 · 6:29pm

Canny.io looks like an interesting way to collect and manage customer feedback. I always do a search in Spectrum before requesting a feature so I can "Like" if that feature has already been requested, but I usually end up missing some due to the way feature requests are worded differently. Another alternative would be to allow Spectrum admins to add related threads.

Hey Brian, yeah we're actually looking at Canny. :) One of the things to consider though is the balance around having multiple platforms for customers to interact. It's something we're being cautious of.

Your message here...

*bold*_italic_`code````codeblock```