Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Figma

Figma is the first collaborative UI design tool built in the browser. Join our growing community and kick off a conversation!

Figma / General

New Smart Selections ⚡️

New Smart Selections ⚡️

Figma / General · October 11, 2018 at 3:44pm

https://blog.figma.com/introducing-smart-selection-51f6ca7a817b

October 11, 2018 at 3:51pm

This looks amazing! I just dropped everything I was doing, quit and reloaded figma just to play with this for a bit

like-fill

@goduran same here, loving it! :)

like-fill

"...we created a way to assist you right on the canvas where you are able to directly manipulate objects, without needing to learn any special new tools or object types. *It’s a pure UI feature*."

I think this is so important. Anima's in Sketch and others I've encountered come with the cost of decreasing the flexibility of my design work by imposing rigidity. Figma's greatest enduring value to me has been how superior it is in staying out of the way, I don't spend large portions of my time fighting against the tool or being productive in spite of it, like I do with so many others.

like-fill

With coding becoming more accessible/integrated into design software, will the lasting realm of relevance for design tools like Figma be the freedom they provide to be unburdened by the need to plan and prepare?

like-fill

wow :)

like-fill

Figma winning my trust and love again and again. You guys are a real example of a product who is set out to give best solution ad experience to their users. Keep rolling features at this rate, and Figma will be THE no. 1 prototyping tool.

like-fill

This is awesome, wasn't expecting this so soon :D Couple things I noticed:

1. The spacing handles disappear at some zoom levels or for really small lists, like a row of icons. Maybe tweak that setting to have them visible longer?

2. This opens up really great possibilities for constraints (like only scale the padding and maintain element size)

like-fill

Is there a "love" button in Spectrum? :)

like-fill

1. The spacing handles disappear at some zoom levels or for really small lists, like a row of icons. Maybe tweak that setting to have them visible longer?

2. This opens up really great possibilities for constraints (like only scale the padding and maintain element size)

this is done check in your figma

I'm encountering the same thing in Figma. The handles for the space between elements show up only if I zoom in really close. Also, the circles for the reordering, sometimes disappears....

like-fill

Is there a maximum limit for elements on a selection?

Do you see this expanding in the future to support auto-adjusting when text gets longer or shorter?

like-fill
like-fill

Love that when you hold shift the spacing moves up/down in increments of your nudge value!

like-fill

@mindthetic oh wow, not only that but it snaps to increments of your nudge, so if you start at some random padding value it fixes it for you. Niice

like-fill

Figma's solution is a little different from others', but I think they still did a good job. IMO Figma made a trade-off between auto-adjustment layout and flexibility.

like-fill

Do you see this expanding in the future to support auto-adjusting when text gets longer or shorter?

+1 for this. It's a must-have feature for component

like-fill

+1 for this. It's a must-have feature for component

Honestly, just mentioning it is futile at this point. There is no way that's not already being worked on OR at the top of the priority list. It's the only thing that Figma doesn't have to completely dominate everything.

like-fill

Great new feature! Here's some quick feedback:

When I select one or more of the pink hollow dots in a Smart Selection to make a sizing adjustment (i.e. to resize the selected objects, not the padding between them), the properties panel shows "Mixed". I cannot see the dimensions while doing the resizing with my mouse.

Also, when you make a couple selections WITHIN the Smart Selection, and then type in a desired height, that new height gets applied to all the items in the Smart Selection ignoring the items you hand-picked. Additionally, the even spacing between the items is not maintained in that case.

like-fill
like-fill

Wait stack folder :D. I really love stack folder of Anima (Sketch). Please update soon <3<3

like-fill

Hi, Figma. There are a couple of flaws in my opinion. First, when I select a single object with a pink frame and try to change its width or height parameters, it does not work for me - the indents and the width of other objects also change. I would like to have accuracy. Also, let's say the central object I want to stretch proportionally. In an ordinary object, it is enough to hold the ALT, and here it does not work.

like-fill
like-fill

Also, when I already wrote about this, there is not enough opportunity to proportionally change the indent between objects, if they were not originally with the same indentation. Suppose between 1 and 2 block - 0 pixels indent, and between 2 and 3 -10 pixels. And it would be cool if we started adding indents to all 3 blocks, say 10 pixels. As a result, between 1 and 2 block will be 10 pixels indent, and between 2 and 3 - 20 pixels.

and further. It might have been more convenient if it were possible to parametrically indent not 3+ objects, but 2+

like-fill

@mindthetic oh wow, not only that but it snaps to increments of your nudge, so if you start at some random padding value it fixes it for you. Niice

Yes super handy!

like-fill
Your message here...

*bold*_italic_`code````codeblock```