Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

moonshot

Sending bitcoin #ToTheMoon. Literally.

moonshot / rocket

Easier places to put Bitcoin as an MVP

moonshot/rocket · May 28, 2018 at 2:53pm

moonshot / rocket · May 28, 2018 at 2:53pm(Edited 5 months ago)
Sending something to the moon is no small feat and there are plenty of ways we could test the concept by putting Bitcoin in other interesting places as an MVP (minimum viable product)
Mariana Trench – we could put a private key to the bottom of the ocean, possibly the Mariana Trench. Same concept except it encourages ocean exploration to recover it
Garbage Patch – we could put a very small private key (or multiple private keys) in the pacific garbage patch to help incentivize ocean cleanup
Bitcoin Balloon – we could put a private key aboard a superpressure high-altitude ballon. Balloons like this can support a small electronics payload and one is currently at 600+ days aloft with 33 non-stop circumnavigations of the earth.
Earth Orbit – we could put a private key in Earth orbit to incentivize a solution to space debris cleanup. This could simply piggyback on any long-term satellite.
Lunar Orbit – we could put a private key in lunar orbit, considerably easier than landing.
Mars – debatably harder than the moon but it might be worth focusing more on Mars, since that's the place where it would be especially impressive to incentivize exploration.

May 28, 2018 at 6:47pm

I think this is a FANTASTIC idea. Perhaps as a global hackathon initiative we can have people test out making various devices and leave behind treasures across the world.

like-fill

Also https://twitter.com/Susivic and crew are working on creating space-proof blockchains for societies on mars

Regarding earth orbit, we could probably contact the https://blockstream.com/satellite/satellite/ folks

One thing to note with earth orbit is it needs to be something that will stay up there awhile. Most cubesats come down after a few months. And I'm particularly fond of doing a Bitcoin balloon

May 29, 2018 at 5:04am

I think this is a FANTASTIC idea. Perhaps as a global hackathon initiative we can have people test out making various devices and leave behind treasures across the world.

This was exactly the thought with what I called Lith tokens. The idea was that anyone could order one and hide them around the world in a geocaching-like way. Problem is you have to trust that they don't keep a copy of the private key. Anyway I just finished work on a pretty cool concept that works in a similar way. Will share details soon

May 31, 2018 at 5:23am

Have you considered a technical approach to determining the location of the key for the MVP? @dmasley's mention of the global hackathon made me think there could be some sort of decryption race to unlock a map to the final location as opposed to the sole reliance on physically stumbling upon the key. Or a step deeper you could have the decryption algo determine the location of a clue which would then be used to determine the key's location.

Just a thought, but I wouldn't want to stray away from the ultimate goal of incentivising exploration.

May 31, 2018 at 4:46pm

Have you considered a technical approach to determining the location of the key for the MVP? @dmasley's mention of the global hackathon made me think there could be some sort of decryption race to unlock a map to the final location as opposed to the sole reliance on physically stumbling upon the key. Or a step deeper you could have the decryption algo determine the location of a clue which would then be used to determine the key's location.

Just a thought, but I wouldn't want to stray away from the ultimate goal of incentivising exploration.

That'd be cool. Probably the best example of a really in-depth scavenger hunt-type global puzzle is Cicada 3301. We could do something like that

June 2, 2018 at 2:15am

Just watched a 20 minute clip on cicada 3301. Wow.

June 2, 2018 at 6:28pm

Just watched a 20 minute clip on cicada 3301. Wow.

Was it LEMMiNO? That video and all his documentaries are amazing. Weird coincidence that he just made it so I just found him and watched it myself a couple days ago

June 4, 2018 at 4:02pm

The one I watched was by TheBraveZombies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svJF_FoSI9o&t=91s but it looks like LEMMiNO's is better choreographed I'll watch it later

like-fill
Your message here...

*bold*_italic_`code````codeblock```