Join the conversation

Sign in to join this conversation, and others like it, in the communities you care about.

Figma

Figma is the first collaborative UI design tool built in the browser. Join our growing community and kick off a conversation!

Figma / Help

Components Layer Panel

Components Layer Panel

Figma / Help · September 1, 2018 at 11:32pm
Is there a particular reason why adding a component to a file creates an instance in the components layer panel? Basically if you link a component library from another file, drag an instance of that component into your working file, it shows up additionally as a thumbnail in the layer panel.
I can understand if the intention is "well you're probably going to be using this multiple times, so here it is for easy access." However with files that use a lot of layers, it can be really difficult to work with—especially since it doesn't look like the component instances are organized.
Here's an example of what I mean by the "recently used" component thumbnails:
Again, kinda hard to navigate and organize when you're trying to work efficiently. This is particularly thorny given the amount of organization that goes into properly separating components by grouping them into appropriate frames:
Anyone else find this difficult? Any current workarounds for this?

September 4, 2018 at 4:27pm

Component usability is something the team is taking a look at. If you don't mind, I'll ask the team to reach out to you as they do their research. Could you DM me an email address? Thanks!

Your message here...

*bold*_italic_`code````codeblock```